Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Eddie Palmieri, Abraham and a Bronx Boychic walk into a bar

                                                                         
Eddie After the Show

Eddie Palmieri, Abraham and a Bronx Boychic walk into a bar


Written with asterisks so you might not get distracted from the tune of the story. Hmm.. *0

I went to see Eddie Palmieri at Dazzle this past Thursday because
I heard him on Kuvo talk up the young musicians in his band.  I missed another jazz legend, Herbie Hancock at the Botanic Gardens this summer and missed the Latin jazz mobiles in upper Manhattan back in the 1970's.
I was going to the Fillmore East back then. So it was time to catch Eddie.

By a meaningful coincidence, I wound up sitting next
to another guy from the Bronx. This was followed by another
connected event the following day and two days after that.



The Dazzle- Palmieri experience was wonderful. Getting into Dazzle was
a bit of trip. It seemed a little disorganized to some of the crowd-me- but
the staff was calm and taking care of business.  When a table for two was available, I said, I'll go with someone, anyone to get in.. and wound up sitting with an ex-Bronx guy, ex basoon player for the Denver/Colorado symphony for 37 years. Is it random that 2 Bronx boys in Denver get seated next to each other?
Not to mention that he is a classical musician and I have photographed
classical musicians. hmm.. *2
There was at least one other Bronx boychic in the audience, Don Byron, a black man who plays Jewish, classical, jazz and beyond.  And he teaches at Metro. My bro-in-law, Steve Levine *3 saw Byron play a didgerydoo with Santana back in the day.



From the get go Eddie was on. Eddie, this little guy, 80 year young cat, was helped out to the piano. Standing, he first introduced his band players with so much enthusiasm and love!  My nephew, Louis Fouche, the sax player who graduated MIT.. and each musician was presented as if by a proud father! Eddie Palmieri and his band were cookin. Hip, high energy with nods to Tito Puente and Puerto Rican roots.
I spoke with saxman, Louis Fourche at the end of the show. He has his own music in a different style. check out louisfouche.com.



Next time:
·        the concert becomes richer.
·        Abraham.
·       and at least one more asterisk side journey.

*1 I was a student of my rabbi who gave birth to "Barry of the Bronx," as Bobby Richardson, Yankees #2  autographed a 16x20 photo I had taken of him at a Denver old-timers game. Actually, I've always been "Barry of the Bronx," but what am I going to say, A nonobservant orthodox Jew? I've always been that too, ever since I took off my yarmulke on Shabbos to play
ball in the street (where I would get into fights during the rest of the week
for wearing the yarmulke but that's another digressive story). I've always been outed but Rabbi Hofman outed my yiddisha neshamah even more so, in a good way.  Up at Snowmass during an interreligious retreat at the Catholic Monastery, I was asked why I'm Jewish. "ich bin a yid."  "in my kishkas." Boom.

*2 He was also an avid jazz fan and told me about seeing John Coltrane and Eric Dolphy the Village VANGUARD.)


Home Concert at the Bein Residence-Boulder


Home Concert at the Bein Residence-Boulder


Jonathan Bein 
Photos by Barry Meriash

*3 Steve Levine is a musician and producer, DJ of Radio Free Nachlaot
"Shlomo meets Jerry" 24-6.. an internet music station featuring great music you don't hear every day and more. Worth checking out radiofreenachlaot.blogspot.com


Steve

Post by Barry Meriash
arttouchbarry@gmail.com
720-203-1135
artisttouchphotographyusa.com

joyinthechassidicworld.com





No comments:

Post a Comment