Thursday, February 14, 2013

Positively 4th St Photos



2-13-13
4th st Rodin
I have submitted some photographs for an upcoming photographic event.
My work has been exhibited as one man shows in local galleries but it’s the first time
I’ve submitted work for a group show.  “4th St Rodin” was taken in a playground in the village
in New York on, you guessed it, 4th st.  Space is tight in NYC and the handball court was no
exception.  So I was standing about 2 inches from the foul line of the single wall as ballplayers
are wacking the ball hard and fast.  This was during my 5 month stint on crutches
(I tore my Achilles tendon playing handball) so it was tough to dodge errant balls. 

I had gone to the village after visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art and
wandering down a long hallway filled with Rodin sculptures, amazing. 
This sculpted handball player was positively like a moving Rodin sculpture.
What do you think? 


4th st basketball
Same schoolyard, same tight quarters.  If it looks like the basketball is
inches from the lense, that’s because it is.  Many photographers like to
shoot from a distance.  I like to get in close.  Shooting from a distance feels
 removed and nonintuitive.  Up close, the sense of immediacy allows me to
 shoot more by feel.  The wide angle view takes in more of the scene.
The original photo was in color but all submissions were black and white. 
What feeling do you get from the color image?


4th st outsider
This was taken outside the fence a
 few frames after the basketball photograph.

  Barry    Meriash-PhotoColorado     barry@meriash.com  720-203-1135

2 comments:

  1. You are SO millennial / hip - cool, dude / i like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEy Rafi!
    thanks for the good words.
    with all my cool street photos, a flower photo was piceked for the show.
    go figger.

    ReplyDelete